Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Support

Last night I came home from work with a long list of things to do that have been put off before I could start studying. During all of this PE started calling me a bazillion times. The first few times I really wasn't able to answer the phone (teetering down the stairs with a 50lb load of his laundry while trying not to slip, fall and break my neck or carrying the clean basket up, putting them away, assembling a light fixture for upstairs, vaccuming up cat litter etc.) He didn't leave a msg until about the 5th call in. I finally called him back when I had a minute to see what the heck he wanted b/c if it was an emergency, msgs I expect would have been left and I would have immediaely called back. Nope, it was just b/c he was working late, just wanted to chat and since he couldn't get a hold of me the first 50X he got obsessed and kept calling & calling & calling. Annoying but at least he cares enough to annoy me ; )

So after I finally set his mind at ease that I'm not running around town with a secret lover and that I'm actually doing his laundry and cleaning up our slothy mess, we hang up. I'm about to hop in the shower to wash the day's grime off when the mother fing phone rings again. I almost picked it up and yelled"WHAT DO YOU WANT NOW!?" but for some odd reason my better judgement kicked in and I said through clenched teeth "hello" instead. It was best that I did b/c it was my mother-in-law on the other end.

She called to thank me for the lovely Mother's Day card I sent her. As we chatted she asked if I started class yet. So I told her all about it. She is a nurse (no longer a registered one but that doesn't make you not a nurse) so she can relate to a lot of what I had to say, what I will have to go thru and all the testing. Turns out that years ago she actually looked in to becoming a paramedic herself. But b/c of family and other commitments it just never came to fruition for her.

It felt really good to talk to someone who can relate to my experience and future ones to come. But what felt even better was that she told me that she thinks this is a good decision for me and she is in total support of it. That she commends me for actually taking initiative to get into the program and make a go of it. That meant a ton to me. Especially since I don't think my parent's have really come to terms with it yet. I don't think it's not that they don't want me to do it, just that they don't know much about it and are scared b/c there is a certain level of danger to it. Plus they haven't know about it as long as my MIL has too. But whatever their reasoning, I just haven't been given a whole hearted "good for you" yet only a "if it's what you want to do then ok. But what about nursing instead?"

Bottom line that is probably one of the best conversations I've had with my MIL. Then PE came home and I tossed the phone his way and locked myself in the bathroom!

EMT Tidbit of the Day: As an EMT we are never allowed to say or write the word "dead" ever. We can say "the patient has no pulse, the patient isn't breathing, the patient is decapitated" but never dead, deceased, kicked the bucket, nadda. We leave that to the Dr's.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a touching story. I didn't know that you can't say the patient is dead! Interesting!

11:52 AM  
Blogger melmar said...

Yeah I guess its like saying "bomb" on an airplane!

12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home