Tuesday, February 14, 2006

I Love You So I'm Going to Stab You



Happy Valentine's Day.


This day always brings me back about 5 years to when I received my first, and thankfully, only stalker letter. I went in to work one day, checked my email while sipping my morning coffee, just like every other day when I saw it. It was from an old high school friend who I hadn't seen in about 7 years. The reason we didn't see each other in 7 years is b/c I quit that friendship.

We were JUST FRIENDS in high school. He was one of the few people that I bothered spending time with. I knew he was always a little odd, but thats what I liked about him. Plus I always thought he was gay but just didn't come out of the closet. Never had any issues with him. Then I went away to college. We talked on the phone. We wrote letters. Nothing out of the ordinary. Until he came down to visit once.

He came down and long story short, acted like a jackass jealous boyfriend poopooing my life down there and all the friends I made. He left. I stopped calling & writing as much b/c THAT is when I realized for the first time that he was just too wacky for me and I certainly did not want to "lead" him on anymore. Eventually I stopped all contact.

Well, he didn't like that too much. He called obssessively and would leave sarcastic nasty messages for me. When I would come home for breaks he would drive by my house, stop by unannounced and call and call and call a lot of times just hanging up if it wasn't me who answered (*69 proved a lot of these). One time my Mom answered and I told her to tell him I wasn't there. He was bold enough to tell my Mom, "I know her car is there so is she really not there or are you just saying she's not there b/c she told you she doesn't want to talk to me. Whatever, just tell her I called." Keep in mind I've already told him to stop calling, coming around etc. I'm not interested and he's freaking me out etc. So I've done my due diligence.

Eventually, it all stopped. Never heard from him again. There was one time I thought I saw him on the highway. I was driving and this car sped up to drive even with me. I sped up, it sped up. I looked over briefly and thought I saw him in the passenger side. He was staring at me and when I looked over he smiled kind of in the way he used to and waved. I floored it and exited at the first chance I got. If it was him, he looked sick. Very thin, pale & just sickly. But never heard from him or of him.

Then February 14, 2001 came around. He sent me an email. Of all the times to send one, he sent it on VDay. Not only that, he sent it just after midnight. It's like he waited for it to be Valentine's day. It was like 2 pages long and it went on and on about how he missed me. That he loved me from day 1. That I was the best thing that ever happened to him. We had a special connection that he's never found with anyone else. That he kept every note, letter or piece of crap we every exchanged on a shelf above his bed. That the one time we went to the beach was the best day of his life. That we could just "be" and not have to talk. On and on it went with all these creapy memories and realizations. It freaked the fuck out me. I should have saved it but somehow I don't have it anymore.

Then it dawned on me, how did he get my personal email? I never gave that to him. So I had to figure out where that came from. Turns out I had registered at Classmates.com. As I was debating on whether or not I should respond to him and if I did how should I, I called Classmates to find out more info. He paid money to send me an email thru Classmates. Classmates doesn't give your email address out, they send on your behalf so he doesn't know mine but I can see his. If I replied to his email then he would have my email. In the end I never replied.

A few weeks later I got the following:

From : "Stalker Boy"
Sent : Tuesday, March 6, 2001 8:19 AM
To : "Melmar"
Subject : Thanks!
You're no fun. You could have turned my $30 investment against me and used it to tell me why you can't stand me. Oh well. Maybe I wouldn't want to get to know you again anyhow. You might have a tattoo on your lower back, hang out in bad suburban sports bars, and like Limp Bizkit or something.
SEE YA AT THE REUNION!


From : "Stalker Boy"
Sent : Tuesday, March 6, 2001 4:29 PM
To : "Melmar"
Subject : over and out
Well you're no fun. You could have turned my $30 investment against me and used it to respond to the last e-mail telling me why you can't stand me or something. Oh well. Maybe I wouldn't want to get to know you again anyhow. You might have a tattoo on your lower back, hang out in bad suburban sports bars, and like Limp Bizkit or something. In which case I thank you for not responding.
SEE YA AT THE REUNION!
"making girls cry since 1974"

At first glance you think these are the same email. Look closer, there are a few differences. They were sent hours apart, subject line is different, copy changed slightly and he added a tag of "making girls cry since 1974." You try figure this one out.

These concerned me even more b/c I did have a back tattoo that I got after we stopped beig friends, I did hang out a suburban sports bars (thats all there is in the south sububs) but I didn't listen to Limp Bizkit. I felt like he had seen me somewhere. That he could be lurking around a corner for me somewhere. This time I called the police and asked what I should do about this. Should I send them a copy, make a report what??!!! All they said was to keep a record and if it continued to come in. Well lucky for me, it didn't and I have never heard from him again. He did piss me off triple though b/c I did want to go to my HS reunion but now there was no way in hell I'd go. It would have been that summer. Although, from what I could find out I don't think it even happend b/c of low interest which = no funding for it. He must have been crushed.

I've never heard from the guy since. If you have your own special Valentine's Day Love Knife story, please do share.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember that! What a loser!

1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home